Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A week...

It's a week since we learned officially about Caleb's leukemia. I'm still very much adjusting to using words like cancer and leukemia to describe our family and my son. So much has happened in such a short short time. We have a lot of thanksgiving and a lot of heartache as we sort out our new normal. We ache because our reality, Caleb's hurting body, cannot be just taken away. We know this is something we must endure. There will be more bad times to come. We can pray that this suffering be taken away, but that is not to be. This leukemia can be beaten, eliminated, but there is much suffering to travel through before we can get there. I just wish that I could take the suffering for him. It reminds me very much of a loving Father who wanted so much to take the long-suffering from his children that he took the suffering himself. I feel that pain. Anyone watching their child suffer in any way can understand this pain. I've heard parents talking this way in the halls here. The suffering of chemo will be great, but the result and work of chemo is to eliminate the greater sickness, leukemia.

I met with a pharmacist today and learned about the various medecines that Caleb will be taking, and the side effects of the medications, and the medecines used to control the side effects. Fortunately they give all of the information in print as well. I appreciate that. Reality is slowly setting in, particularly as we get further into treatment. Caleb may lose his hair within two weeks. Time for summer haircuts in the Brand house! Hopefully we'll get both Dad and Caleb's hair cut this weekend.

Caleb is struggling with leg pain tonight. It aches me to see him ache. It's waking him up from sleep, and we've given him some medecine (again!) to relieve the pain. I just turned on the TV, yes, at midnight, to distract him from the pain until hopefully the pain medication kicks in. Backyardigans to the rescue. I hope. I'm going to keep this blog post short because I need to give him my attention. When I started posting, he was sleeping peacefully, but not so anymore.

Please keep praying. And if you get this right now, pray that his legs stop hurting him.
Thanks for your care for us.
J




Grandpa reads Curious George to Caleb.


3 comments:

Gina Taylor said...

Jess and Tim: I just read this post. I am praying that Caleb remains as pain free as possible. Thank you for posting the picture of your dad and Caleb. I am can barely look at it without thinking of your mother Jess. She was one brave lady and her bravery lives within you too Jess. I know it does. God bless you all.
Love, Gina

d said...

I love seeing Tigger listening with Caleb to the story. Jess, the words from your heart bring tears to my eyes. It is good to hear your thoughts, prompting us to pray in specific ways.

I wish I could take the pain away for this journey.

your sis,
spot

Justin said...

Hey Jess and Tim,
thanks for sharing your story with us. Its a blessing to be able to hear what's going on and to be able to pray with you and for you. Kristin says she's looking forward to Caleb coming home so she can visit.
rachel, justin, kristin, alyssa, and joel