Wednesday, June 23, 2010

He knows my name

Hello everyone

This is our first posting as new bloggers. Bear with us as we learn the ropes!

We are also learning new ropes here at the hospital. We met with the doctor supervising Caleb's care this afternoon to talk about the results from the tests we had done yesterday. They have told us that Caleb does have leukemia, as they thought. We are slowly (or quickly?) absorbing this news, and all of the medical information that comes along with it. We've had a lot of forms to sign and people to meet this afternoon. We are doing well, on the whole. Being busy with information, and a busy 4 year old boy, helps to keep us going!

We are taking one moment at a time as we try to gain perspective. At this moment, Caleb is happy, instructing Dad (Tim) how to put his bed up. He is now King Caleb, with his own TV and massive bed that obeys his every command. He is smiling and full of energy. The turnaround from 3 days ago is striking. 3 days ago we came to the hospital with a white little boy, so tired he could barely walk. His mom was also pretty worn out and worried. Now, after 2 units of blood and 1 of platelets, he has colour and energy, he's found his loud voice back, and he's thrilled with the his room. For me, the mom, I too am doing so much better. I know that 3 days ago he still had leukemia, we just didn't know it yet, and it was working hard to bring his body down. Now, we're working to bring his body back up. He's a good fighter, and we are in good hands.

We've been listening to some music here in our room, and a song that caught my ear yesterday, or maybe it was this morning, is "He knows my name."

I have a maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hand

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And hears me when I call

He knows Caleb's name. He knows our names and He is holding all of us in his hands. We are so sure and aware of this at this time. Thank you so much for your prayers and for your offers of support and care. We feel your love.

Stay tuned for more information. In another post I'll give a few more technical details, particularly around what kind of leukemia Caleb has and how long we'll be here!

Thank you everyone,

Jess

3 comments:

Gina Taylor said...

Tim and Jess:
Tim and I are relieved to hear that the test results have been received. We are praying for all of you.
With love, Gina and Tim Taylor

mel said...

I am keeping your family in my prayers. I am in awe of your strength at this time. I will pray that you can continue to be strong for Caleb, yet be able to feel supported through whatever other emotions come your way.
melanie schat

Kim said...

OH Jess (((((hugs))))) I'm so sorry to hear this news :( We will be praying for you all. Let me know if I can do anything (including meals, watching the kids, etc.)