Monday, June 28, 2010

Settling in??

Caleb is enthralled with the card that he received from our church family on Sunday. He noticed it in the middle of the night on Sunday/Monday and smiled such a happy smile. Here is is checking it out. Thank you New Hope and Charlton church families. We feel the love and are thankful for you.
Caleb is borrowing Grandma Nell's stethoscope to check out his dino and other animals. We listened to his heart and Mom's. It's a great learning and memory tool. Anything we can do to soften his experience of health care professionals! It's getting a bit better, but he's still reluctant to trust. I'm told that will come with some time, and I believe it.

Lots of smiles and laughs this morning with Tammy. We are so thankful for this time and for the relationship between Tammy and Caleb that makes a morning like this possible.


We had another busy day, we moved again! Caleb is technically in isolation because of his low counts, and so a shared room was not preferable. They were able to get us into our own room this afternoon, which is nice for Mom too! We have been hanging up the artwork and cards each time we move, I do hope that this is our last move for a little while.

Caleb started more intensive chemo today. He had been on steroids since Thursday (performance enhancing drugs? I think not) and then today he had a few other ones. One of them was bright red, like Kool-aid. We are told to expect more side effects tonight and for the next few days. From the steroids we should expect increased appetite and moodiness, and from today's medecine we can expect nausea and tiredness. There's probably more, but that's all we can absorb for now. Our nurse also told me that when I have to clean up his bodily fluids (like when he misses the toilet when it's time to pee), I must use gloves because of the chemical content. Wow.

It was a pretty good day--Tammy came over for a little while to give Mom a break and play with Caleb. He had a great time, check the pictures. Grandma came over in the afternoon with Nella and Aleah, and they helped us move. We moved Caleb's bed from one room to the other with all three kids on it. Nella and Aleah enjoyed his bed while Caleb sat in a chair to watch TV. Caleb's smile is wide each time we've come to a new room and he spots the large television. I appreciate Treehouse TV more than I ever thought I would.

Caleb's getting ready for bed, playing and talking with Dad, who stopped by on his way home from work. Please pray again for a good night sleep for our little boy. His body must be strong to fight.

Peace

J

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Jess and Tim,
Praying for healing for Caleb and strength for you and all three children.
Brenda B.

Unknown said...

You are in the prayers of our family daily. God is God and God is good. What a peace. Ingrid Vos
ps I have been trying to post so many times. I don't see that any have gone through. Time to ask my techy support... my daughter. Hope it works this time.

the other Nella said...

Jess, I'm hoping to stop by tommorrow, very briefly. I won't come in but maybe talk to you outside Caleb's room.Remission induction is really hard.I pray for all of you that it won't be too hard on Caleb and the rest of you.You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Love & hugs. The other Nella

d said...

Hey, good to see more photos. And now I know where the stethoscope went. I needed it two weeks ago! (Looks like we should have more in the family anyways.) Oma Pot and I had a nice little visit with Nella and Aleah at the house tonight. Aleah was very content on a new Oma's lap. Both Mr. and Mrs. Pot send their love and prayers; they read your blog every day.

spot

Gina Taylor said...

Jess and Tim,
Thank you for your frequent updates and the pictures. You are in our thoughts and prayers continually.
Love, Gina (and Tim) Taylor