Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 1


Week 1 is "steroids week." Caleb had a lumbar puncture for chemo in his spinal fluid on Tuesday, and they gave him all of his other chemo on Tuesday as well. This is a change in routine that happens every 9 weeks (if I remember right). Normally he has his chemo divided over 2 days. Yesterday it was obvious to me that his body was hard at work recuperating from the meds. He would alternately play and lay on the couch, and he slept for several hours in the afternoon. He is emotional, alternating from tired and happy, to tired and unhappy, to excited and jumping around. He doesn't get angry often, just weepy. He is not very interested in eating, but out of the grace that I've been given, I've had patience to try multiple types of food to get him to eat. His picture is of the pancakes that we ended up having for supper. A good dutch thing to do, I think. He's happy to help make them.

Caleb is on steroids this week, which I'm expecting to kick in soon. Steroids are such a mixed bag. I want them to kick in so that his body can rally a bit more and gain strength for chemo. I'm concerned about the side effects of steroids this week, because it was so difficult for him last time. This week we've added a new drug to help control the pain that steroids can cause, rather than popping him some tylenol every four hours. It tastes awful, but mixed with gingerale, Caleb says it tastes good. It was my child enjoying a glass of pop at 7:30 yesterday morning. We live by new rules in our house.

We ask for your prayers and thoughts as we go through this week. It's not easy, and we're tired. We know it's not all bad, and even as he is worn out from chemo and worried about his body, and I am too, he still plays and enjoys the things he loves. The John Deere video (thanks Cousin Cori) occupied him for a long time yesterday.

Please pray that he'll feel better as he wakes up this morning. Thanks for your support to us.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

d said...

Hey, I hope the days go fast until Sunday, to escape this steroid strife. Not fun. I wish I lived closer to visit and distract the kids. Hope the headphones work for the next couple of days for Caleb, and I hope you can get out for a run soon. spot

anya genevieve said...

hey, hang in there all of you. your in my prayers and in so many other's as well. my friend Monica ran her marathon in San Fransisco this past Sunday for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and did amazing, both with the running and raising funds - she ran for Caleb as well as her loved ones affected by blood cancers. I really hope the steroid week goes as best as it can and Caleb can fight off this nasty disease. Just made me think of the story of the Little Train That Could! Remember, up up up the mountain it went and even when that little train felt he could go no further he kept going and going - resliancy and strength and hope and love. anya xoxo

Kim said...

Hugs to you all and prayers from Hunter Street. You are truly an amazing family :)

Anonymous said...

Pancakes for supper sounds yummy. I will pray for continued patience and minimal side effects.
Brenda in St. Catharines

Anonymous said...

hello dear ones - we read your blog everyday and continue to pray for you guys and Caleb. Thanks for your stories, your honesty, and updates. Hoping that you know and feel that you are thought of often and prayed for continually - Michelle DeBoer