Saturday, October 23, 2010

Learning what works


It's Saturday of "steroids week," and things are better than they were earlier this week.  Caleb was exhausted and mostly miserable for Wednesday and Thursday, but Friday was an improvement.  I stopped giving him the new med to "help" with side effects, and switched back to Tylenol.  This might have helped.  I'll have a better chance to talk with the clinic team about that next week.  It's all a learning process and I can see that it will take a while yet before we figure out how things can work during these weeks.  Even when we think we've got it figured out, things still will change. 


Part of the challenge is trying to figure out what to do with a particular, anti-social 4 year old.  Our house is not well designed, nor is our family well prepared for someone who does not want to spend time with others, yet needs to be glued to mom.  I'm learning how to deal with this, but there are very frustrating times.  His sisters are hurt when he refuses to interact with them, and that hurts to watch.  I can't be frustrated with Caleb, because it's the drugs.  And so I'm frustrated with the steroids.  But then, we need the steroids to help his body gain strength again, and so I can't be too frustrated about that either.  Sometimes I find myself feeling almost like I'm trapped. 

But we're learning.  Thanks to Aunt Sara's idea, we learned last steroids week that headphones can help give Caleb some time away in the presence of others.  We set him up with the Skype headset to play alphabet games on the computer.  This was a nice break for everyone.  He's also learning about lego.  I picked up a new lego set, and he meticulously followed the directions to build a lego camper.  He's now fascinated with lego, little lego as we called it when I was a kid.  And my girls are learning to play together while Caleb does his thing.  Hopefully this is the way we can get through this time, until Caleb as we know him returns next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jess,
I often find myself with no words to say, I don't know what I even want to try and say. I think that you are doing amazing,I know you are a great mom and I think Caleb is amazing too. We will continue to pray for strength for all of you as you learn how to deal with 'this'.

Rachel

d said...

I think people should let you borrow their lego for steroids week - just being bold and saying that! Wish I had some to pass along. spot

anya genevieve said...

Hey there, what a week it must have been for you all. I totally agree with your sister Jess - finding some lego to lend for Caleb would be a great idea... and i just might know a few people I could ask for you. The headphones are a good idea too - do you need an extra set? I've got an extra pair that are basically brand new; some cool green ones that are super soft and really comfy and they work well they're logitech ones, although no microphone.. but if Caleb would like them they're his! actually i think they're at my mom's, so i can ask her to bring them over tonight if you want... my heart goes out to you all with the steroids; how awful they can be but yet when your body needs them theres no choice, no other med options... its a total catch 22. Hugs & Love, anya

Grace said...

Hi. We're distantly related and I know Ralph and Sara and have been reading their blog. They posted information about Caleb, so I've been reading your blog and praying for your family. I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you that I personally own the lego r.v. that caleb has and it is a bi tricky to put together. So, I've concluded that he must be a genius.....praying for you - for patience, peace and healing.
Please don't ask why a 37 year old woman owns a lego r.v....
Grace