Saturday, October 16, 2010

Reflections

This week has been quiet for us. Blessedly quiet. We had two normal enough clinic days on Tuesday and Wednesday, and no major issues throughout the week.

I visited with friends who's child was admitted to hospital recently. I feel a connection with other parents who know this feeling of sitting at their child's bedside, helpless themselves, trusting their child's physical care to health care professionals. It's a strange position to be in, doing everything I can as a parent, but being limited because he needs more help than I can provide. I did everything I could as Caleb's mom to help him be healthy, but his disease was beyond my ability to "fix." A nap and bandaids, a glass of water, a hug, those aren't enough to stop the progression of this terrible disease. Sitting beside him, laying in bed with him, those are the things I can do, and then I need to watch as someone else does the things that I so desperately wish I could do to make him better.

Too many of us know this feeling. It's my prayer that God will continue to give all of us the grace we need to trust those who care for our children, and show us the ways that we can support and lead our children to receive care. I am so aware that the lives of our children are in the hands of God. And this God is the God who sees little sparrows fall, who clothes the flowers of the field with intricate colour, who paints trees green only to have them burst into colour just before winter, and invented rainbows to contrast with the darkness of rainclouds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.
~Elly

Jen said...

A beautiful reflection :)