Monday, December 6, 2010

Beginning another week


Taber, Alberta.  My cousin Lane sent this picture of last week at their farm. 

This weekend we had the opportunity to go to the Help a Child Smile Christmas party.  Help a Child Smile is an organization that, as Caleb says, "Helps kids with zuchinia go places."  It was HACS that made it possible for us to go to African Lion Safari.  I suppose a grownup might say that HACS promotes and seeks to improve the quality of life of children with cancer and their family.  It is run by volunteers, all of whom have been affected in some way by cancer. 
We don't have any pictures of the event, which is all well and good because they were mostly just afraid of SantaClaus and all of the noise that was in the place!  Typical for kids four and under, I think.  It took a bit, but we managed to interest Caleb in having a balloon reindeer made for him by Fluffy the Clown, and then the kids participated in crafts.  Caleb's balloon then popped, and we had another one made, but we decided to leave early and went to get our Christmas tree instead. 
While we were driving there, I reflected on our tradition of getting a new tree each year from a tree farm.  For various reasons, I almost talked myself out of going.  But then, all three kids in snowpants, hats and mitts (but I forgot them for Tim and I), marching up and down the rows of trees searching for our tree, I remembered that I love doing that.  We found a little fir tree, cut it down, and fit it inside our van with the kids.  It's small.  Perfect for our small house and our small kids.  And now the house smells delicious.  I'm getting ready for Christmas.
The kids are excited for Christmas, although they do believe that Christmas will be here when the snow comes.  This morning we finally have snow on the ground.  I hope it's easy to explain to them that its not Christmas yet. 
It will be steroids week this week.  I'm cautiously optimistic as we learn how to manage these weeks.  Our church friends have asked how they can help.  This week my friend Jane will drop off pre-cooked bacon for us so that I don't have to smell like bacon all week long.  We went through two packs of bacon and a jar of peanut butter last steroids week.  I wonder what will happen this week.  I'm hopeful that the excitement around Christmas and snow will be able to fuel Caleb for a few days into treatment this week.
Caleb goes for a bone density test tomorrow as well.  This is routine, something they do every half-year while a child is on treatment.  It was a routine echo that found his blood clot.  I really hope there is nothing that they can find when they do this bone density test. 

 
Percy, Thomas, and Spencer are getting ready for Christmas too, thanks to crafty kids and a hot glue gun.  Caleb's Christmas tree excitement was mostly for having a train track go around the tree.  He says he saw it once.  He doesn't miss a thing.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: