Friday, November 12, 2010

Our week off



We're adjusting to giving needles at home.  This morning we had our first home care visit; a nurse came to give Caleb his needle.  I wondered if I would appreciate this, because my strongly independent nature would prefer to do things on my own if I can.  So far, one visit in, it's a great help.  I like the reassurance of someone else coming in to make sure that what we're doing is okay.  Giving my child a needle is not a comfortable experience, but I'm guessing that eventually it will seem quite normal.  For now, I like having someone else to come and help us. 


We had an extremely long day at the hospital yesterday, all 3 kids at clinic for what was intended to be a much shorter time.  We were there all day!  I was once again so thankful for my sister Rhoda who could slip away from work for a short time to hang out with my kids and give me relief.  And give me cash so I could buy hotdogs for the kids when we had to skip our picnic lunch.  We're working hard to preserve our children's childhood in and amongst hospital trips and medicine.  Sometimes it's harder than others.  I battled this in my own mind yesterday--my frustration with how long things take and having to abandon birthday picnic plans with friends versus a desire to help my kids be kids and not be as grumpy and frustrated as I feel.  I'm not sure that sentence made sense, but hopefully it somehow conveys the idea that I want to learn to embrace our hospital time as a part of my kids' childhood as much as an outdoor picnic is.  That means making the hospital fun.  Fortunately, our clinic and McMaster Children's Hospital is trying to do the same thing.  I'm so glad that they allow us to ride our tricycles and make lots of noise. 

Today we are staying home.  We've been building lego and making balloon animals (no, I don't know how, but Tim does), eating pancakes and dancing to music.  Here's to making childhood the best we can for our kids. 


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Chris Schoon said...

You continue in our thoughts and prayers. May the Lord grant you extra strenght and peace as you feel the weariness of this stage in your journey. We will be praying for laughter and joy and more opportunities for your children to enjoy childhood together.
The grace and peace of Jesus Christ surround you and hold you close to the Father's heart.

Michael and Brenda: said...

There is no instruction book to parenting i am finding out real quick. It is hard to hold in the feeling of being frustrated. Smile and breathe is what I was told. it is not easy and my face is wrinkling and about to crack.....:) cousin Brenda
p.s.Hope to see you at Dejonge Christmas

anya genevieve said...

Jess, I just want you to know that I 110% believe and feel that you and Tim ARE giving your kids the best world, the best childhood possible while being faced with a child with a serious illness and multiple hospital visits and chemo and steriods and all that. I see the pictures of your camping trips, I read about the tricyles up to the clinic, the laughter and the fun, the picnics and the stories and play time and I just want you to know that if anything, I believe your kids will be all the stronger and better for all that's going on in your family's life. Not that Caleb's leukemia is anything to be wished for, but the strength, the courage, the empathy, the learning of how our world is and seeing how to deal with adversity while trusting God to be there for you all and to heal your precious little boy - well, i think things like these only make us better people. And the most important thing your kids need is love and that I Know they get in spades. love the pics, by the way. hugs and prayers, anya

Williams Family Blog said...

Hi Jess and Tim,
We are continuing to hold your family in our prayers. Just wanted to encourage you as you both do life with your three kids in the midst of leukemia, needles and chemo. Quite a while ago Keegan was in the hospital over Christmas. It was my 30th bday and Calia's first Christmas. A time to be anywhere but there. We decided if we couldn't celebrate with family that day we would simply celebrate Christmas at the hospital. So we put up a tree, put blinky lights around the window, brought in some gifts. We had an amazing Christmas and for years afterwards if we asked Keegan about his best Christmas e he would say the Christmas at the hospital.
Crazy eh? So keep on letting Caleb ride his trike through the hospital, have those spontaneous picnics,carpe diem! Anyways, love to you all, be encouraged and keep the posts coming.